Thursday, May 3, 2007

When its Hard to be a Pacifist

Its days like today that it is not fun to be a pacifist. I received an email yesterday and this is what it said:
"On Thursday, May 3rd at 10:25 AM a young soldier from Franklin County will be coming home.

Ryen was killed serving our country overseas and will be arriving at the Toccoa Airport on Thursday. The college is asking our students who can gather on Big A to support his family and show the community our support for one who was willing to sacrifice his life for his country."
When push comes to shove, I believe Ryen died for nothing. I believe that Ryen's life had value, but he was a soldier commanded to fight in an unjust war and the loss of his life for the "defense of this country" is meaningless. But that makes me sound as heartless as a war-hawk...Ryen's death is a tragedy, as is the loss of all human life. I don't know why it happened and I wish that it hadn't. His death was as senseless as those that have died in Darfur, or the shootings earlier this year in Aliquippa. Death, wherever it happens is a tragedy. My honest condolences go out to Ryen's family. It is the individual lives affected by war that make it so tragic. It is not nations that feel the pain of these losses, but fathers, mothers, sisters and brothers. It is the weak--children, poor, and marginalized--that suffer the most.

There must be a better way to peace.
"Sure as a hammer finds a nail, death is the only way to peace" ~Derek Webb
It is Christians dying for others--socially, emotionally and yes physically-- that can bring the world peace. Jesus inaugurated the kingdom through his death, and we are called to follow suite. Only through radically associating, and relating to the hurting can we effect peace in this war torn and restless world.

It is not guaranteed to be successful, but a human history of war has never brought peace: the "war to end all wars" (WW1) led to the "war to make the world safe for democracy" (WW2) which has led to more war, and a world hostile to human life (including democracy!). When will we learn?

“Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” ~George Santayana

1 comment:

Paul Dordal said...

Hey Dean,

I agree with your assessment on these senseless deaths in Iraq. I have been opposed to the war since the beginning, and having served in the US Army for six years prior to coming to Christ does not give me any more credibility with evangelicals in my pacifism . Most evangelical Christians have not articulated a consistent theological position regarding war. In fact most haven't really allowed the teachings of Christ to penetrate their patriotism one bit. I have taken a lot of flack about my position, and even had one woman leave the church because of my opposition to the war. You are courageous to stand up for you Biblical convictions. I commend you and encourage you to expand your articulation of Christian pacifism.