Friday, May 4, 2007

Christians and Government

Today in my History of Theology class a discussion concerning the separation of church and state came up, in the context of an introduction to dominion theology. It was an incredibly interesting discussion, and the subject has been on my mind for most of the day. I found myself disagreeing with my prof and about half the class. Overall I would guess our class was 50/50 on the issue, half thinking that Christians in the government can effect morality via the governing authority, the other half rejecting that notion.

To me, the notion of affecting a nation's morality via the ruling authorities is a proposterous idea. This "top-down" mentality doesn't work with morality any better than it does with economics! (The trickle-down theory just doesn't work practically!) The movements that have had lasting effects on our country's politics and morality have been bottom-up, grass-roots movements. Look at the temperance movement, the women's suffrage movement, and the civil rights movement...In each case, it was the little people making the change.

When I pointed out in class that the Jesus and his disciples, and the early church for that matter, were grass-roots, I had a classmate try to tell me that the incarnation was a "top-down" approach. Maybe what he meant by this was that Christ came down to the nothingness of humanity from his place as God, but I don't think that is what this classmate meant. Christ did make himself nothing, and his example is the PERFECT example of effective change from the bottom up!

Jesus of Nazareth had every opportunity to set himself up as the emperor of the world. The Jews of his day, including many of his followers, were expecting the messiah to come and start an earthly kingdom, a "top-down" kingdom that would change the world. They were looking for political liberation and self-determination. But that is not what Jesus had in mind. Instead he turned the tables, and flipped things upside down. How did he start a movement? With an eclectic group of uneducated peasants from a captive nation! And what was his method for changing the world? Dying. Christ and his gospel are the antithesis of a "top-down" approach.

It was a great day when Constantine made Christianity legal in the Roman Empire. I imagine many Christians were joyful and thankful that they could serve God openly at last. The centuries of persecution were finally over. That peace was a great thing. But, didn't the church thrive under such persecution? Look at the book of Acts... What about today? Isn't the church thriving in China and other places hostile to the gospel? Is the church thriving in our present day Constantinian empire (the USA)?

I am not sure that I have fully resolved this next idea in my head, but it seems to make sense to me. The ability for Christians to live and worship freely is a great thing, and not something to be taken for granted. It has not always been this way, and will not, most likely, continue to be this way. But, at the same time, persecution is good for the church. It forces the church to rely on God, it weeds out the nominal, and it is a powerful witness to the world. Maybe tranquility for the church is nice for this world, but maybe it is not beneficial for our spiritual condition. Do not trials develop perseverance, character, and hope?

Apostate churches are not born out of persecution, but are born out of the church growing comfortable. I think there is plenty of evidence for this with the Israelites in the old testament. The entire narrative of the Old Testament seems to be the Israelites sinning and doing evil in the eyes of the Lord, being taken captive (much like persecution), and then repenting and serving God again before the cycle begins again.

So what does this mean practically? I'm not sure... Should we pray for persecution? Maybe... at the very least we need to be careful not to take our comfort and prosperity (read laziness and obesity) for granted. Days of comfort often end abruptly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deano, good thoughts. I wish I had been there to hear the discussion. As I said to you earlier, I think the notion of a marginialized church would ultimately produce the effect of a healthier church...especially in our current American context. At the same time, I don't want to develop a "martyr" mentality that makes me in a twisted way desirous of suffering for my own glorification.

I don't beleive in suffering for suffering's sake. But I do beleive in suffering for the sake of love. And I happen to think that love almost ALWAYS demands suffering.

One thing is for sure...I do not approve of Christians in our culture clammering for political power to protect ourselves - "our families," "our churches," "our way of life." As you said, Christianity thrived in a day when it was marginialized. And it will again once this settles into our own culture. We can work for the good of all in government, but trying to protect ourselves through political power seems backwards to me - especially when we claim to follow a Christ who did (as you correctly stated) changed the world from a standpoint of weakness, becoming nothing for the sake of love.

Meredith said...

I agree, for the most part. :)